Sherrards’ franchise practice comprises experienced lawyers who are used to working with household names in the UK and international franchising sector, as well as new and prospective franchisors. Our clients operate in diverse sectors including food and drink, retail, entertainment, beauty and property, to name just a few. We act for brand names such as Chips Away, Headmasters Hair, Winkworths, SNOG Frozen Yogurt, Esquires Coffee Houses, among many others.
The team is led by Leigh Head, with key support from Kiall Bagnell and Barney Laurence, both highly rated for their franchising expertise. Services range from stand-alone franchise agreements, master franchise agreements, pilot schemes, development, area development, intellectual property and brand protection, through to commercial property, litigation and dispute resolution. Recent litigation undertaken has led to significant judgments in the world of franchising and involved major franchisors and multi-unit franchisees.
We are affiliated with the British Franchise Association and rated by the legal guide Chambers & Partners , which commented that we have a “noted franchising practice that undertakes a broad spectrum of work, including advice on agreements, employment and litigation.”
- Advising on the suitability of business formats
- IP audits, brand protection and the development of business systems
- Drafting master, regional and developer agreements
- Reviewing agreements for potential franchisees
- Advising on the development of EU and international franchise structures
- Assisting with negotiations and pre–contractual discussions
- Negotiating master franchise and developer agreements
- Dispute resolution management
- Sales and acquisitions
- Employment law advice
- Commercial property advice