News & Views

British National Overseas (BNO Visa)

If you’re from Hong Kong and are a British national (overseas) you and your family members can apply for a British National (Overseas) visa. This is known as a BNO visa. It allows you to live, work and study in the UK.

In order to qualify your permanent home must be:

  • in Hong Kong, if you’re applying from outside the UK.
  • in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Hong Kong if you’re applying in the UK.

You can apply to stay for either 2 years and 6 months or 5 year. You will be able to extend your visa if you want to stay longer. You can apply to extend your visa as many times as you want.

After you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years, you can apply to live in the UK permanently. You can work or study, but you cannot apply for benefits.

You’ll need to show you have enough money to pay for your housing and to support yourself and your family for 6 months.

  • £2,000 as a single adult
  • £3,100 as a couple with a child
  • £4,600 as a couple with 3 children
  • £9,200 as a couple with 2 parents and 2 adult children

This can include:

  • your income and savings as well as your family member’s
  • money you will earn in your current job in the UK.
  • money you will earn if you’re transferring to a job in the UK with your current employer.
  • an offer of help from family or friends

In summary, applicants can now apply for the BN(O) visa. All applicants applying under the BN(O) visa route will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain after five years of continuous residence in the UK. Applicants who are eligible under this route will also be on a path to obtaining British citizenship.

Please contact Laurel Zhang for more information.

Related Content